A high-quality handgun safe needs to be secure, easy for the user to access, and have adequate storage for the gun and mags. While other factors will be important these are the main ones and the Vaultek VE10 is a product that is designed to be quick to access whilst also being durable and secure.
In this article, we’ll be reviewing the Vaultek VE10, the most compact option in the Vaultek range. We’ll consider all of the product’s key features, who it’s best suited for, and then give an overview of the pros and cons to help you decide whether this is the ideal safe for your personal needs.
While this is a compact and stripped back model (Vaultek have some seriously high-end safes in their range), you’ll find that it still comes with some modern features and is far from basic when compared with some of the competition.
The Vaultek VE10 is a sub-compact safe for storage of a sub-compact handgun. This is only clarified in the product description so keep this in mind when reading this review and considering purchasing this product.
As it’s sub-compact, it’s a small size and relatively lightweight at just over 5 pounds.
It comes with pre-drill mounting holes and mounting gear included which means this sage can be mounted in your car or to your desk etc…
It also comes with a 4-foot long steel security cable for portable and temporary mounting and while this is a great feature and addition, the cable is not the most secure and would act as a deterrent rather than a fully secured lock.
2. Storage Capacity
When trying to find a balance between portability and convenience of storage, you’ll want to take into consideration the storage capacity for your handgun safe. This sub-compact model will offer less storage when compared with other products and can hold:
- 1 full-size handgun or 2 sub-compacts.
- Mobile phone
While these are just standard use guidelines, you can check the dimensions below to compare against other personal belongings that could be used.
- Dimensions (Outer):5″ x 8.5″ x 2.125″.
- Dimensions (Interior): 875″ x 5.375″ x 1.5″.
It covers most storage needs in terms of handguns or personal possessions storage and comes with foam inserts to keep your items in place and reduces any possible damage during transport.
3. Security & Access
This safe is designed to be simple and quick to access (for the owner). It comes with a manual set of 2 x master keys and is primarily locked via a 5 numbered keypad. This allows for a possible code combination of 40,000 possibilities which should be more than enough to produce a secure code.
One point we will make is that most keypads will have between 8 – 10 keypad numbers allowing for significantly more combinations which also makes for a more secure safe. This is still a secure option but just not as secure as the safes that have more number combinations.
This safe does come without Bluetooth or WiFi connectivity which does increase the security aspect. It features anti-pry bars and has an anti-impact latch to stay compact and secure even under pressure. It’s built from 18-gauge steel that’s also unwelded making it solid and durable but it’s not “heavy-duty”.
The one downside we have as far as security and access go is that the latch on occasion does not open at the first time the code is entered.
A few users have experienced this issue and that makes it relatively unsuitable for those that need quick access and a 100% guarantee of opening to access their handgun in emergency situations.
Below we’ll list some of the additional features that come with this product:
- Proximity backlit keypad with quick, responsive presses
- Interior light with adjustable brightness for ease of seeing your belongings
- Hotkey shortcuts for sound and battery checks as well as accessing travel mode
- Sleep mode will time out for 4 minutes if too many codes have been entered incorrectly in quick succession.
Pros & Cons
There are quite a few pros when looking into this model and this is reflected by the impressive customer reviews online so we’ll look into the pros and cons for a better product overview:
- Quick Access: Bluetooth and WiFi access is disabled for this product meaning manual access is required through a key and keypad combination. This improves security and allows for quick and simple access.
- Versatility: This is a secure safe that offers versatility. It can be used as a handgun safe or a place to store valuables and personal items.
- Battery Life: The lithium-ion battery only takes 2.5 hours to fully charge but a single charge will then last 4+ months for a very long-lasting battery life.
- Highly Rated: When it comes to handgun (or any compact) safe, this product is amongst the most highly rated and well-reviewed on the market. With an average of 5* reviews alone on Amazon, you should have a good idea of the popularity and customer satisfaction with this safe.
- Latch Mechanism: The latch mechanism is known to have an occasional issue in that it won’t open with consistency when entering a code. This could be a glitch on a few specific models but overall, if you need to access your handgun for a crisis situation then you need to be 100% certain the latch will open the first time and it’s, unfortunately, something that doesn’t seem to be guaranteed with this safe.
The Vaultek VE10 is designed to be quick access and portable product for storing your handgun (and other possessions) when traveling around. It’s a relatively secure safe that doesn’t have any obvious structural weaknesses and is designed to be quick and easy to access.
The mounting option, durable build, and long-lasting battery life are all favorable features and we’d consider this to be one of the better handgun safes on the market.
The one caveat is the latch mechanism which has been known to malfunction and then requires manual opening and resets. This isn’t ideal if you need guaranteed access 100% of the time but overall, it’s a solid product with reviews that back it up.