For those on a camping trip, outdoor adventure, or even just looking for a quick solution for a backyard fire, a portable camp stove can be an excellent solution.
In this article, we’re going to look into the hugely popular Fireside Trailblazer portable camp stove to see what key features it has, who it’s best suited to and what the pros and cons are.
This camp stove rated 2nd in our review of the best portable fire pits, only to come behind its big brother! Fireside Outdoor really did sweep this product category.
Fireside Outdoor Trailblazer Features
As with any product review, we’re going to look at what key features you get with the Fireside Trailblazer and see what makes it stand out from some of the other portable camp stoves on the market.
This product was heavily backed by a Kickstarter campaign so you can expect to see some customer/investor feedback make its way into the final product!
Firstly, we’d have to say that portability is the standout feature of this product. At a weight of only 3 pounds, this camp stove can be easily carried around for backpacking, hiking, kayaking, or any other outdoor pursuits that involve cooking outside.
It’s small and compact enough to easily be carried alongside (or inside) a backpack, but it does come with its own carry strap for ease of portability.
The Fireside Trailblazer is designed from aircraft aluminum and anodized stainless-steel which make it durable and rust-resistant for long-term use in rough environments.
The design is intentionally made to mimic a camping chair in terms of its folding mechanism for easy setup and also for its ability to hold weight without collapsing (by utilizing a low center of gravity). It’s 11” x 11” cooking area can hold up to 25 pounds of food and can feed 1-4 people.
While its coating is designed with durability in mind, it’s worth pointing out that some users have had some issues with rusting and also the heat shield becoming damaged after just a few uses. These do seem to be incidents few and far between so we’d be fair in saying these could be isolated manufacturing issues.
For the most part, customers have been getting frequent and damage-free use out of the product.
Starting a fire in the outdoors can often be tiresome work. The Trailblazer is designed to be simple and easy to use which can make all the difference after a long day of outdoor pursuits. Firstly, It’s unique pop-up functionality is the result of a patented (camper chair) style mechanism.
This means that your stove folds out in seconds and more importantly, keeps your fire pit raised for leave-no-trace burning. Once folded out, all pieces slot together instantly as there are no loose parts or tools required, everything is “slot” focused.
Finally, set up time takes less than 2 minutes and with the mesh base, a fire can be started quickly without the need for fire accelerants as a result of the increased airflow. To pack away, simply tip out the coal/wood into your chosen disposal method and pack the stove away in the reverse method from setup.
The entire process is streamlined and a far cry from using rock-built pits and mangled campsite grills.
The final feature we want to consider is safety. Firstly, the product passes federal fire pan regulations, though you should always check your state-specific laws before use. Its fire mesh is designed to allow 95% airflow to prolong the fire and eliminate the need for any fire accelerants which run the risk of creating an uncontrollable fire.
Secondly, the product features a leave-no-trace design. Unlike traditional camp stoves, It’s raised from the floor and comes with a heat shield that sits underneath the fire mesh to prevent scorch marks and damage to the ground’s surface.
Finally, the coal/logs/wood and ash are contained within the stove through the raised guards. This not only prevents the fire from spreading but allows for safe and thorough clean-up after use.
Besides the above “key features”, we also wanted to put together a quick-glance list of some of the additional features or benefits that come with this product:
- Warranty – A lifetime warranty on the frame, guards, and grill accompanied by a 50 use or 1-year warranty on the fire mesh.
- Meets federal fire pan regulations.
- Comes with a heavy-duty carry case.
- Tool-free assembly
- Ember guards keep your fire under control and prevent ash, coal, or wood from escaping.
Pros & Cons
Now that we’ve looked over the product’s key features we’re now going to look into the pros and cons of this product. While the features look good, we won’t claim that this product is perfect and it does have some drawbacks.
- Environment: The design of this camp stove means that minimal ash or heat escape from the stove. This may seem beneficial in terms of reducing clean-up time but the main benefit is that it will not leave burn/scorch marks in the area that you’ve used it making it a better option for nature preservation.
- Versatile: The stove is capable of burning wood, coal, or bio-fuel and can also double as a campfire pit allowing versatility of use in a compact package. It essentially has a 2-in-1 functionality.
- Intuitive: Everything from assembly, starting and maintaining a fire, clearing away, and transporting is straightforward and incredibly user-friendly. The fold-out design and lack of nuts and bolts mean this is an accessible product for a wide variety of people.
- Coating: While this product is made to be durable, some users have found that it started to rust after multiple uses and the heat shield was also damaged from use.
- Size: While this product is compact and lightweight, it’s maximum cooking capacity is 1-4 people. This therefore wouldn’t be an excellent option for larger families or groups.
If you’re finally tired of rolling up to campsites to use old and beaten-up communal grills and want a cleaner, simple, and environmentally friendly alternative then the Fireside Outdoor Trairblazer portable camp stove might just be the ideal option.
It’s lightweight, intuitive, versatile (functioning as a stove or fire pit), and is suitable for any outdoor pursuit/adventure, even if that is just cooking some food on your backyard patio!