When camping, cooking, or seeking warmth in the great outdoors, a high-quality pop-up fire pit is usually an essential requirement. A pop-up fire pit is a modern-day product that greatly reduces the stress and effort that can come with setting up a fire.
They can also help you to achieve your leave no trace goals – to not leave behind a mess, coals, or damage to the ground around you.
In this article, we’ll be reviewing the Fireside Outdoor Pop-up Fire Pit, a top seller on Amazon, and the product that topped our rankings of the 9 best portable fire pits.
What to Look for in an Outdoor Firepit
Before checking out this product specifically, we first want to outline some of the key features that you want to look out for in a good quality outdoor fire pit. Depending on your location, certain national parks, reserves, and forests will have restrictions regarding the safe (or legal) use of fire.
This is sadly something that people don’t think to take into consideration when having a seemingly innocent barbeque on a camping trip. As fire is an uncontrollable substance that can cause significant damage in the outdoors, the safety features are therefore one of the key aspects to look out for in a pop-up fire pit.
When it comes to setting up a fire pit outdoors, you’ll also want something that is lightweight for ease of portability whilst also being fast and easy to set up (you don’t want to be fumbling around with intricate and small parts in sub-zero temperatures).
Finally, you want something that is easy to pack away and will not leave any trace of fire once you are done. Heat shields, raised sides for ember control, and a solid base will all help to keep embers, ash, and coal contained in the firepit.
Below are some of the key features that you want to look for in a firepit whilst taking the above points into consideration. For these features, we will specifically see what the Fireside pit has to offer and how it compares with the basic requirements.
The key feature of this product is its lightweight design, ease of portability, and fast setup/pack away time. When looking for a suitable outdoor fire pit, you need something that is incredibly user friendly and easy to carry around.
The Fireside pit weighs just 8 pounds in total which means it requires very little effort to carry around and the setup time takes just a few minutes. The below manufacturer video demonstrates just how fast and easy this firepit is to assemble from scratch.
This outdoor fire pit ticks off some very important boxes when it comes to functionality and ease of use. Firstly, a lightweight and innovative design allow users to set up with speed and despite the lightweight frame, it has a weight capacity of up to 125 pounds.
This is more than enough to fit some small-medium sized logs to provide a decent fire.
The heat shield, metal mesh, and raised sides all help to keep the fire contained, and the metal mesh, in particular, is useful for starting fires quickly without the need for an accelerant whilst also providing good airflow.
Finally, it also has the capacity to attach an additional grilling grate which is ideal for those looking to do group trips and need a convenient and straightforward cooking source.
Customer reviews are a big indicator when it comes to the quality of a pop-up fire pit. Due to the potential fire hazards that can be associated with poorly manufactured products, you want to know that other people are using this product and also that they rate it highly.
The Fireside outdoor fire pit is one of the highest-rated products within this category on Amazon and is also one of the best sellers.
Pros & Cons
Now that we’ve considered some of the key features that you get with this product, we’ll quickly summarise some of the main pros and cons.
- Quick Assembly: This pop-up fire pit can be set up in minimal time. The video we included earlier shows how set up can be done in as little as two minutes right out of the bag. Once you’ve done it a few times, set up and take down will be so quick that it won’t even be something to worry about.
- Upgradable: With this product, there is also the option to upgrade it with portable grilling grates which will enable you to grill food with ease and will expand on the variety of foods that you can cook with this fire pit.
- Airflow: The steel mesh provides food airflow which means you do not need to use any accelerators to get the fire started and keep it burning. This is useful not only for the reduced fire hazard that comes with using accelerators but also for the pure convenience of quick ignition.
- Highly Rated: When it comes to pop-up fire pits, this Fireside model is one of the highest-rated and most reviewed on the market. The customer satisfaction is high and many feel that it provides good value for money whilst also lightweight and easy to set up.
- Wood Burning Only: This fire pit is not designed for use with any sort of propane and is for wood burning only.
- Smoke: The fire pit has good airflow but many customers feel that it lets off too much smoke when compared with similar products.
- Weight: While this fire pit is lightweight, it’s not so light or compact that you can easily carry it around on a backpacking trip. It’s definitely better suited for transportation by car or another form of vehicle.
The Fireside outdoor pop-up fire pit is a decent product in our opinion that provides good value for money in a lightweight, portable, and easy to set up/pack down design. It covers most bases in terms of safety, ease of use, and functionality so you can use this out in a forest just as easily as you could on your backyard patio.
There are a few limiting features that will be a hassle depending on where you are based but if you are looking for a reliable and easy to use fire pit, this Fireside product is a good option.